"Vitae Efficacy Units" or "VEUs" are units developed by the Tremere researcher Maxius and the Malkavian Dr. Douglas Netchurch in order to measure the efficiency of a vampire's vitae (the game mechanic of the blood pool). The research lead to the conclusion that Kindred of lower generation have more VEUs to expend and that the thin-blooded have to expend more VEUs in order to activate the "natural" abilities of a vampire.
There are five scales that are currently used:
- The Starvation Scale, which measures the amount of blood the vampire needs to substain himself before going into torpor.
- The Ghoul Scale, which measures the potency of the blood needed in order to create ghouls.
- The Wound Regeneration Scale, which measures the amount of blood a vampire needs to heal injuries.
- The Might Scale, which measure the amount of blood a vampire needs to increase his strength.
- The Discipline Scale, which measures the amount of blood a vampire needs in order to fuel his Disciplines.