The Supernal Realms (or "Realms Supernal") are the higher planes of existence from which all magic springs.
Five Supernal Realms are known to modern mages. Each is recognised as the home of a particular type of magic, is inhabited by a particular type of higher being, and is home to one of the Watchtowers which call mages to the magical Paths. While mana from all the Arcana is present in every Realm, each is ruled by two, the Subtle and Gross expressions of the Realm's essence. A third Arcana is considered "inferior" in each Realm - its influence in that Realm is lessened as it does not mesh well with the Realm's nature. Mages find it easier to draw down magic when dealing with their Realm's ruling arcana, and more difficult when attempting to wield the inferior arcana.
- The Aether, Kingdom of the Celestial Spheres and Abode of Angels, home to the Watchtower of the Golden Key. Ruled by the Arcana of Prime and Forces; Death is inferior.
- Arcadia, Kingdom of Enchantment and Abode of the Fae, home to the Watchtower of the Lunargent Thorn. Ruled by Fate and Time; Forces is inferior.
- Pandemonium, Kingdom of Nightmares and Abode of Demons, home to the Watchtower of the Iron Gauntlet. Ruled by Mind and Space; Matter is inferior.
- The Primal Wild, Kingdom of Totems and Abode of Beasts, home to the Watchtower of the Stone Book. Ruled by Spirit and Life; Mind is inferior.
- Stygia, Kingdom of Crypts and Abode of Shades, home to the Watchtower of the Lead Coin. Ruled by Death and Matter; Spirit is inferior.
The Supernal Realms were once intimately connected with the Fallen World, the "normal" plane consisting of the material world and the Shadow, but after the Atlantean mages ascended into the Supernal Realms they shattered the Celestial Ladder, allowing the Abyss to separate the Realms from the Fallen World. This makes it more difficult and dangerous to draw down magic - a careless mage can tear a hole in reality, allowing the chaotic forces of the Abyss to manifest in the material world as Paradox.
The mages who ascended the Silver Ladder now dwell in the Supernal Realms, possessed of god-like power; these are the Exarchs, who seek to prevent Earthly mages from accessing magic altogether so as to keep their mastery over all. The Oracles also dwell in the Supernal Realms; they seek to foil the Exarchs' plan and are thought to have created the Watchtowers.