As Spectres are not gifted with Lifesight as wraiths are, Shroud-Rending provides them with the only way to see and spy on the living. However, Spectres cannot appear before the living with this art; to do so requires knowledge of Embody. Nihils tend to form in the places this art is used frequently.
- Hold Back the Curtain: A Spectre can extend the duration of an Arcanos' effects in the Skinlands.
- Threshold: A Spectre can see obscured images through the Shroud.
- Echoes: This allows a Spectre to see through the Shroud.
- Fleeting Glimpses: A Spectre can clearly see an area of the Skinlands.
- Virtuality: Events happening in the Skinlands can now be seen and heard clearly.
- Transparent Memories: The Spectre can use all of their senses through the Shroud.
- Nightmare ( ): A Spectre tears open the Shroud over a sleeping mortal, allowing Oblivion to influence their dreams.
- Lurking Presence (Doomslayers: Into the Labyrinth): Similar to Nightmare, but can be used on mortals who are awake.
Wraith: The Great War Edit
During the Fourth Great Maelstrom, Shroud-Rending is an imperfect art still in the process of being developed. At this point, Shroud-Rending only has one power: allowing a Mortwight to tear a hole in the Shroud and enter the Skinlands for a brief period. A user of Shroud-Rending finds the Skinlands tangible to them (although not vice versa), and can use Arcanoi that cross the Shroud.
Levels in Shroud-Rending in this period represent how long a user can safely stay in the Skinlands:
Only Mortwights may learn Shroud-Rending during this era; other Spectres do not as yet suspect its existence, in large part because they ignore the Mortwights.
The Great 13: