Shades are the eight personality profiles into which a character of Orpheus can be categorized.
A Shade will dictate what Horrors a character is allowed to choose from and how they manifest to the living. There are recommended natures for each Shade, though a character is not required to pick from those and may go to other natures that suit them more.
The Shades are:
- Banshee – The emotional, insightful characters who wish to help others.
- Haunter – The loners with attachments to things rather than people.
- Poltergeist – Characters who are full of rage and use it to solve their problems.
- Skinrider – Those who desire to control others, for better or worse.
- Wisp – Playful and charismatic, the Wisps are the tricksters of the Shades.
- Phantasm – The artistic and imaginative characters who would rather live in dreams than reality.
- Orphan-Grinder – Spirits brought back from the darkness who seek to redeem themselves.
- Marrow – Those who adapt easily to any situation or want to blend in with everything.
- Orpheus Rulebook, p. 81-83