A Path is a mage's personal connection to a Watchtower through one of the Supernal Realms. It is through this connection that the mage is able to draw down mana and work magic in the Fallen World. It also colors his Mage Sight permanently.
Each of the five Supernal Realms has a single Watchtower, so there are five paths to which a mage may awaken; the paths have a title, but also a series of descriptive names which invoke the mystical nature of the path's connection to its parent realm. The paths are:
- Acanthus - Enchanters on the Path of Thistle, Scions of the Watchtower of the Lunargent Thorn in the Realm of Arcadia, Kingdom of Enchantment and Abode of the Fae
- Mastigos - Warlocks on the Path of Scourging, Scions of the Watchtower of the Iron Gauntlet in the Realm of Pandemonium, Kingdom of Nightmares and Abode of Demons
- Moros - Necromancers on the Path of Doom, Scions of the Watchtower of the Lead Coin in the Realm of Stygia, Kingdom of Crypts and Abode of Shades
- Obrimos - Theurges on the Path of the Mighty, Scions of the Watchtower of the Golden Key in the Realm of The Aether, Kingdom of the Celestial Spheres and Abode of Angels
- Thyrsus - Shamans on the Path of Ecstasy, Scions of the Watchtower of the Singing Stone in the Realm of the Primal Wild, Kingdom of Totems and Abode of Beasts
A sixth "Lone Watchtower" is rumored to exist; if it does, then presumably those mages called to write their names on its walls would follow an unknown path.
- , 32, 92-106
Mage: The Awakening Paths