Moliate is one of the thirteen primary Arcanoi from Wraith: The Oblivion. Those who Moliate are able to reshape their Corpus, and the Corpus of others, into fascinating, and sometimes terrifying forms.
The Corpus of a wraith is much more flexible and yielding than mere human flesh. Masquers are those who have the gift of making it softer still and are able to shape it into usable forms. Masquers use this ability on their own Corpus the most, but some hire themselves out to give other wraiths the gift of beauty (or horror) that they could never achieve in life.
Because of their flexibility in appearance, Masquers make excellent spies as they can alter their appearance to replicate another’s perfectly. For that reason, any known Masquers are watched carefully by the Hierarchy, lest they decide to cause problems. Some wraiths specialize in this field, most notably the famous Masquer Slander, who may in fact be several well-trained wraiths and not actually one gifted one.
Failure to use Moliate properly not only causes horrific mistakes, but makes them difficult to correct. A careless Masquer can even cause permanent damage to theirs or another’s Corpus if they are unfortunate enough, though most are lucky enough that the damage can eventually be repaired.
- Glow: A Masquer can cause Corpus to glow with an unearthly light.
- Return of Death’s Visage: A Masquer can use this ability to revert back to their original form.
- Shapesense: A Masquer can identify if another wraith has been Moliated.
- Imitate: A Masquer can perfectly mimic another’s face.
- Sculpt: A Masquer can alter their form, but keeps the same mass and basic humanoid shape
- Martialry: A Masquer can temporarily form their limbs into melee weapons, or their skin into armor.
- Rend: A Masquer can tear apart the Corpus of another wraith.
- Bodyshape: A Masquer can alter Corpus to whatever they choose.
- Lizard Tail: A Masquer can detach and re-attach their limbs with no ill effects.
- Skinmold: A Masquer can alter skin texture.
- Calcify: A Masquer can use this to harden plasm into a longer-lasting form.
- Desperation’s Lash: A Masquer can temporarily shape a striking limb into a more damaging form.
- Chorus of Throats: A Masquer can develop several throats and mouths that they can use to speak in harmony.
- Volley: A Masquer may shape and launch projectiles for defense.
- Chrysalis: A Masquer may make a more sedate façade that can hide over a Martialry prepared form, and rip it away at a moment’s notice.
- Girding: A Masquer may shape other wraiths into weapons as they would themselves in Martialry.
- Cripple: A Masquer can permanently tear away or destroy plasma from another wraith.
- Kiln: A Masquer can make plasm permanently unshapable.
- Soothe: A Masquer can "anesthetize" a target and allow them to feel no pain or discomfort while being reshaped.
Moliate abilities during the Great War are the same as the basic abilities and standard powers with the following exceptions, which replace the skills of the same level or where noted.
- Deathmasque: Except for the name, the same as Return to Death's Visage.
- The Shaper's Eye: Except for the name, the same as Shapesense.
- Maelstrom Visage: A Masquer can channel their Shadow to reinforce their Corpus on Maelstrom journeys.
- Embed (The Sea of Shadows): A Masquer can permanently embed objects in their Corpus to be used as weaponry
The Great 13: