Mnemosynis is by and far the most controversial art of the Arcanoi. It was the first to be banned, well before the Breaking of the Guilds. Prior to its banning, it was used by the judges of Stygia to ascertain the guilt of a criminal. With so much knowledge of dark secrets at their disposal, many Mnemoi became corrupt, and Charon and the Hierarchy were forced to outlaw them, lest they destroy Stygia. Some Mnemoi have managed to hide among the Monitors, as those who use Lifeweb have almost the same Guild marking, while others use their abilities as little as possible so they won’t attract attention to themselves.
The main focus of the few who dare use Mnemosynis is control. With its most basic uses, a Mnemoi can tell if another is lying, giving them a decided advantage in any negotiation or deal. Those who continue to use their powers to delve into the memories of other wraiths want information to lord over others with. That is not to say that all Mnemoi use their gifts for such dark purposes, but those who would use it for good are far outnumbered by those who peddle in knowledge and blackmail.
There are some who say the Mnemoi have been falsely accused and that there is more to their exile than appears, but these are usually dismissed as random ramblings.
A Mnemoi who has their abilities go wrong is in for a horrific time. Not only have they risked exposing themselves as users of a forbidden power, but they may end up revealing secrets of their own that should have stayed hidden.
- Rewind: A Mnemoi can see the last minute of another’s experiences.
- Sense Intellect: A Mnemoi can sense other intellects nearby, whether they be mortal or otherwise (or even out of sight). The wraith can not ascertain the identity of those minds, only their presence.
- In Memoriam: A Mnemoi can bring a specific memory of another to the surface.
- Mnemotechnics: A Mnemoi forces another to relive a specific incident in the past.
- Mindspeak: A Mnemoi may make their voice sound in another’s mind.
- Casting the Scene: A Mnemoi can allow others in the area to see a flash of another’s memory.
- Onslaught: A Mnemoi can transfer a full memory from one person to another.
Ends of Empire (Guildbook: Mnemoi chapter)Edit
- Erasure: A Mnemoi may wipe a memory from their mind.
- Swipe: A Mnemoi may temporarily erase a memory from another’s mind.
- Soulkeeper: A Mnemoi may duplicate another’s memories and store them in their own mind.
- Tabula Rasa: A Mnemoi may wipe a large number of memories at once.
- Memorycrafting: A Mnemoi may alter old memories or create new memories from scratch.
In contrast to the other Arcanoi, practitioners of Mnemosynis have no difference in their abilities, as most Mnemoi have mysteriously disappeared and the art is rarely used during the Great War. It is presumed they have gone into hiding in light of the Fourth Great Maelstrom and the coup of the Smiling Lord, but some whisper they may be elsewhere...
- , p. 136-137
The Great 13: