Although it does not produce as useful effects as Inhabit or Castigate, Keening is nonetheless a treasured art in the Shadowlands because of the potential power it has. More than anything else, it makes a wraith feel emotional again. Chanteurs can create strong emotions and reactions in almost anyone they chose, and it’s an experience that some wraiths would give their unlives to have again, even if the emotions are artificial sensations made from a manipulative wraith.
Chanteurs primarily work through song, although merely speaking or shouting may have their desired effect. In addition, their Guild marking, a musical instrument of some kind, is almost always used to assist them in their endeavors. Although Keening can be used with large groups of wraiths, Chanteurs prefer to focus on one target at a time.
Mistakes made with Keening can have severe repercussions. The most common is for an intended positive emotion to backfire and become a negative one, but in extreme cases of misfortune, a Chanteur has been known to be driven mad by his own power.
- Perfect Pitch: A Chanteur can tell when another wraith is using Keening.
- Sotto Voce: A Chanteur can hide their use of Keening from other wraiths.
- Dirge: A Chanteur can strengthen a wraith’s darker emotions (sadness, anger, grief).
- Ballad: A Chanteur may inspire a wraith's higher emotions (love, happiness, joy).
- Muse: A Chanteur can make a suggestion to others to do their bidding.
- Crescendo: A Chanteur can physically damage wraiths, buildings, and anything in their path with a scream.
- Requiem: A Chanteur can fill a wraith with a completely overwhelming emotion.
Wraith: The Great WarEdit
Keening abilities during the Great War are the same as the basic abilities and standard powers with the following exceptions, which replace the skills of the same level or where noted.
- Brenden's Lay: A Chanteur can travel without harm through a Maelstrom so long as they continue a chosen song.
- Songs of the Living: A Chanteur can fill a song with life and use it to damage a Spectre.
- Distraction (Renegades): A Chanteur can hum or whistle a tune that interferes with Barghests.
- Spectre Song (The Sea of Shadows): A Chanteur can imitate a Spectre’s voice and screams.
- WTO: Wraith: The Oblivion Second Edition, p. 146-147
- , p. 119-120
- WTO: Renegades, p. 92
- WTO: The Sea of Shadows, p. 91-92
The Great 13: