Like the other Dark Ages games, Dark Ages: Inquisitor is set in 1230 and takes place primarily in Europe. The secret Inquisitors of the Church, bestowed with powerful religious rites and holy magic, work to save Christendom from the supernatural creatures such as vampires, werewolves, warlocks, wraiths, and fae that freely roam and rule over the World of Darkness. The game also serves as a sort of prequel to Hunter: The Reckoning.
Players may choose and create a character centered around one of the Orders that fight the forces of darkness. The Orders are either Monastic (run by the Holy Mother Church) or Lay (unordained individuals who hear the holy call).
- The Order of the Poor Knights of the Passion of the Cross of Acre, a group of monastic knights.
- The Red Order, a group of theological scholars with the knowledge to fight.
- The Sisters of St. John, a collection of nuns prone to mystical visions.
- The House of Murnau, a cursed noble Bavarian family who has fought the denizens of darkness for centuries.
- Oculi Dei, a network of individuals devoted to fighting the darkness.