Auspice is the term for the phase of the Moon under which a Garou was born.
The Auspice defines the character starting Rage, which Gifts he will be able to learn and his role in Garou society. There are five Auspices, as follow:
- Ragabash - the Garou born under the New Moon. His role is the Trickster and Questioner of the Old-Ways.
- Theurge - when there is only a small portion of the moon visible, the Garou is a Theurge. He is the Shaman, more in contact with the spiritual world, the Umbra and the spirits.
- Philodox - the Half-Moon are Judges and Mediators in Garou society. They usually are the leaders in time of peace.
- Galliard - the ones who are born when the moon is Gibbous are the so-called Bards and Keepers of ancient Lore, who know of all the ancient legends and songs.
- Ahroun - the Full Moon represents the war aspect of Luna (the Moon) and these Garou are the most fierce Warriors. They usually step into leadership during war-time.