| This Year In|
- 1914-1918: The Great War. The War provides the Technocracy with a testing ground for their new developments in mechanical and chemical warfare. The Sons of Ether are dragged into the technological terror as well.
- Benjamen Holmscroft, founder of the Arcanum, apparently dies at the age of 62. In the years prior, he is not seen by anyone except Winthrop Murray and the new Grand Chancellor. Hermetic Andrew Taylor believes he simply disappears because his longevity is becoming too apparent.
- Sgt. Major Kyle witnesses a massive device wreaking havoc, a tripod three storeys high.
- Reginald Proctor commits suicide.
- The Syndicate's goal of uniting humanity under one government and one currency are smashed with the advent of World War I.
- July 24: Professor Vargo reappears (calling himself Czar Vargo), with bizarre airships over New York, Washington, D.C., Paris, London and Rome. Vargo in incensed that the leaders of the world have been making war when they should have made peace, and thus gives the them three hours to place their national powers in his hands. While Sleeper weapons are prove ineffective, the Technocracy unleashes a number of secret weapons — including steam-driven robots and mutant soldiers — to disable the ships. Vargo retreats, and his ships vanish. During the struggle, the Ivory Tower creates a sister organization, the Operatives, to circumvent Vargo. The two groups together become known as the New World Order. Michael Faraday is among those who fight Vargo, but he disappears afterwards.