| This Year In|
- 1858-1882: France responds with military force to Vietnam's persecution of the French until the government agrees to French colonial rule.
- New Orleans becomes the capital of Lousiana again.
- The Two Moons Pack is formed.
- Adam Sutton, a Ragabash of the Glass Walkers, discovers the first known City Father, that of London. Shortly after other City Parents are discovered in several other cities – New York City, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Boston, and Chicago.
- By this year, the Hermetic Order of the Rising Day is little more than a mockery of magical ritual, its members dressing outlandishly and reciting nonsense by rote because they "[resonate] with the harmony of the spheres."
- The Society for Psychical Research is founded in London.