| This Year In|
- The 46th Council of the Council of Nine meets in Horizon.
- By this year, Analytical Reckoners all over the United States of America are experimenting with the telephone. The idea — that of transmitting voice as electrical signals — has them excited about creating miniaturized difference engines which run on electricity.
- The 37th meeting of the Technocracy's Invisible College, advancing the Time Table.
- The US Census is taken, and requires seven and a half years to tally.
- July 20: James "Gearhead" Peritone sends a letter to the Convention Council regarding the invention of the telephone by Alexander Graham Bell, and the paradigm shift it represents. The Analytical Reckoners have the Electrodyne Engineers working on a method of using electrical pulses to transmit information.
- Shortly following this, the Analytical Reckoners petition the Invisible College to rename themselves the Virtual Adepts in honor of the concept of virtual space.