| This Year In|
- The Spanish Inquisition is suppressed, as far as most people believe.
- Manila is opened for foreign trade.
- Doctor Lhotsky, a Shadow Lord, leads an expedition into Wadbilliga. He attempts to contact the Bunyip using aboriginal translators, but the attempt fails. Lhotsky killed the translators in anger, blaming them for the failure, and he is in turn killed by Bunyip.
- The Difference Engineers come to prominence.
- After a campaign of frightening the owner and patrons away from the Liberty Tree Tavern with tales and "sightings" of ghosts, Patrick Drey and Thurston Winters buy the property. On Beltaine of this year the Balefires are lit and a freehold is born.