| This Year In|
- 1208-1244: Albigensian Crusade against the Cathars in France continues. The war results in the complete destruction of the cultures of Provençe and Aquitaine.
- With the death of King Ivan II, the Bulgarian Empire fragments.
- The Mongols invade Belgrade.
- The Mongols defeat the people of Volga Bulgaria. Over eighty percent of the Volga population is dead and all major settlements have been razed to the ground.
- Pope Gregory IX dies, as does his successor Celestine IV, just two weeks after his inauguration. The papacy will remain vacant for two years after that. 
- Word reaches the Golden Horde that their leader, Ogadei Khan, has died. They turn back to Mongolia.